All,

I don't have write access to the wiki so I ended up not being able to write
the comment over there but I wanted to make a very basic comment.

The current package security mechanism proposes using MD5 and SHA1 hashing
algo's for pom's and adoc's.

Be mindful that for ages the general guidance is that both algorithms
should not be used in regulated systems (i.e. government, banking, health,
etc) across multiple jurisdictions out of security concerns:

http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/ST/hash/policy.html
https://web.archive.org/web/20131113032317/http://blogs.technet.com/b/pki/archive/2013/11/12/sha1-deprecation-policy.aspx
https://security.googleblog.com/2014/09/gradually-sunsetting-sha-1.html
http://blog.pcisecuritystandards.org/migrating-from-ssl-and-early-tls
https://threatpost.com/sloth-attacks-up-ante-on-sha-1-md5-deprecation/115807/

I understand most of discussion around the ciphers still floats around its
use in PKI and TLS comms and that the scenario is well far fetched for
NiFi's (unless the previous holders of the copyright decided to use the
open source repo... 8D )

But considering how easy it is to use SHA2 or SHA3, may I suggest we
revisit the choice of algorithms?

Cheers