For GetTwitter, I can't really tell if the followers field is supposed to
be the numeric id, or just the twitter username that you would see in
tweets.

I believe it would be this from their API:
https://dev.twitter.com/streaming/overview/request-parameters#follow

It does say that IDs to Follow is only used when using the Filter
end-point, did you try changing the end-point to Filter instead of Sample?

-Bryan