Hi Peter,

One thing I have had success with in the past is very similar to what you are
stating here. Basically a test framework built in python that is just applying
the flow to a processor group for a test, and then performing the tests. NiFi
it self is stood up inside of a docker container to verify the flows, and then
just reporting back errors when a test fails (via Jenkins pipeline).
Specifically I leveraged, in separate instances,  the Robot and RedwoodHQ
frameworks. I have been interested in building a flow testing framework from
Gauge (the new thoughtworks test framework), but have not yet found the time.

If you are thinking about working on something to industrialize this, I would
be happy to work with you on it.

Thanks and Regards,
Chris