This behavior is known and there is an open JIRA ticket [1] for it.  It's
not great for the processor's onTrigger() to be continually called without
a flowfile, but it's also not a great user experience to do nothing and
show 0 tasks executed, which leaves the end user with no idea why the
processor isn't working.  The current behavior is likely the best choice of
the two, until some good UI notification can be built as mentioned in the
ticket.

regards,
-- Mike

[1] - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NIFI-767