Hi Mark,

After reading the JIRA [1] and the PR for the UpdateAttribute
modifications, I believe this was simply an unintended consequence of the
code changes.  If you would like to write a new JIRA, then I'm sure we can
restore the "Set Empty String" functionality when not storing attributes in
local state.

[1] - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NIFI-1582

-- Mike