Thanks for everyone’s input. It seems to be a clear consensus to eliminate
.tar.gz and only provide .zip moving forward. I’d like to keep this discussion
thread going for another day or two to field any objections. After that time
(Friday-ish), I’ll create a Jira to do this unless things change.

I will probably keep the possibility to generate the .tar.gz through an
inactive profile to allow people who need that offering to use it. There will
be a subtask Jira to update the release guide moving forward as well.

Andy LoPresto
alopre...@apache.org
alopresto.apa...@gmail.com