Peter,

I vaguely recall the conversations around (similar, not exactly the same)
permissions at the time this was implemented, and it was decided to allow this
due to time constraints. I do not object to your proposal to change this (maybe
Matt Gilman feels differently?). If you open a Jira, it should be doable.

Andy LoPresto
alopre...@apache.org
alopresto.apa...@gmail.com