You can call transfer for each segment while processing the incoming
stream, its just that the real transfer won't actually happen until
commit is called.

Most processors extend AbstractProcessor so commit is called for you
at the end, but you could choose to manage the session yourself and
call commit for each segment, as long as you are ok with the scenario
I described before where you have now sent some segments downstream
that can't be undone.

I guess an analogy would be writing lines of a flow file to a
relational database... you could either use a DB transaction per line
where if line 50 fails you can't undo the inserts for lines 1-49, or
you could do a transaction for all lines where they all insert or none
insert.

The ProcessSession is like the DB transaction.