I agree I think that the JSON-serialized version flow snapshot in
Registry, which is also supported by CLI and MiNiFi Toolkit, should
become the new "de facto" for portable/file flow format, including
used in places that templates used to be used.

+1 for adding import/export capabilities for this format in NiFi
similar to the way templates work today. It would be nice if the "Add
Process Group..." dialog had additional options other than import from
NiFi Registry, such as import from file or even just a text box the
JSON representation could be pasted into.