Hi Bryan and all,

Thanks for starting this discussion thread; good stuff.

I am also leaning towards option #3 (master becomes 1.0.0-SNAPSHOT,
but we do not raise the minimum required Java version at this time). I
would be fine with raising the major version to 2.x again when we do
make Java 11 a minimum requirement, presumably sometime in the next
year or so.

I don't have any suggestions for breaking changes that could take
advantage of a major version change (other than the ones Bryan
presented), that I feel strongly about, but with discussion / dev work
starting on new major versions, it might be good to start tracking
issues in Jira that specifically would require a major version change.
That way, if someone has time, those items could be tracked extra
closely anytime we are developing towards a new major version.

I propose something like a `majorVersion` or `breakingChange` label to
use while those items are in the backlog, until wok starts/lands and
then the Fix Version field can be used to specify the exact version it
will be included in.

Thanks,
Kevin