Phil,

There is a 'modify the data' Component Access Policy. Use the key icon in
the Operate palette (or right-click on the component) to access the
Component Access Policies as opposed to using the Global Menu in the upper
right to access Global Access Policies.

The user will be able to empty a queue if they are in the 'modify the data'
policy for the upstream component (processor) which generated the data.
This policy does not allow the user to delete the connection between
processors. To do so requires the 'modify the component' policy.

One additional nuance to consider: if you are operating a NiFi Cluster, you
will need to add each of the cluster nodes to the 'modify the data' policy
as well. This is required because the request to empty a queue is proxied
from the node being used to access the UI out to the remaining nodes.

-Mark