I had an interesting problem building Apache NiFi (1.11.4) using Java 11
which resulted in a build failure. The environment is on a private network
with a dedicated Nexus repository. I used the maven option "-DskipTests".
It appears test execution was skipped, but maven still attempted to compile
the source. In the end, the failure was due to a missing dependency from
the Nexus repo. Specifically, the artifact was a dependency in
nifi-accumulo-processors, but only required by test classes.

Group: org.openjfx
Name: javafx.base
Version: 11.0.0-SNAPSHOT

First, it surprised me that a SNAPSHOT version was allowed. However, since
it is required only for a test, perhaps this may not be an issue. Can
someone please confirm?

Secondly, why did maven still attempt to compile test classes even when
using the option "-DskipTests" ? Is there something in the nifi poms
overriding the behavior? Or have I just misunderstood what -DskipTests does?

I had the same results on Maven version 3.6.3 and 3.5.0.

Thanks.