I'm on the opposite side of this discussion. I disagree that NiFi has to
implement something immediately.

Now, I admit that I am old school, and feel that if you aren't capable of doing
what is necessary to secure your own things, it's your own fault. But, I also
realize, everyone on the internet seems to be coding now without the true
understanding of what that means.

I totally agree that a NiFi server open in the wild is a bad thing, and can be
used by hackers. But, truly, NiFi isn't broken in the sense of security
vulnerability. Mark mentions a default username password with a basic auth,
which is actually no better than what that Twitter post had. The default
username/password will be known to all, and that will be the first thing they
attempt to get into those servers. (Or using the API.) My company has looked
into the basic auth side of things, just so that even in a local network,
people couldn't just find the server and do stuff on it. But, since there
wasn't a NiFi "approved" method, we didn't pursue it. Instead, we run NiFi on a
single machine that you have to log in to to be able to get to it, and the
single machine has very limited users and the no access to NiFi from outside
that machine. In a second instance, we have done a SSH tunnel into a Linux
machine to access the NiFi running on that Linux machine when firewalls are not
open to the NiFi port.

Also, I run NiFi at home, and I don't have it connected to the Internet. I
wouldn't want to deal with user/pass or HTTPS because there is no need for it.
HTTP on its own isn't bad, it is the data individuals are sending that
determines if HTTP shouldn't be used. My small website is just simple data with
absolutely no usefulness to hackers, and therefore, doesn't really need HTTPS.

My opinion is that we shouldn't take a knee-jerk reaction to this one Twitter
post about what appears to be ONE NiFi server, unsecured on the Internet.

Just my opposing opinion.

John