Hello,

1) I am not sure there is a definitive plan for removing variables
yet, but it is definitely something to consider for a NiFi 2.0 (or
other future release). I would also say that templates are in the same
situation.

Templates were created as a way for someone to share a part of a flow
with someone else, not really as a deployment mechanism. We have now
centered around the "flow definition" JSON used by NiFi Registry as
the format that should be used for importing/exporting/deploying. You
can right-click on a PG and Download Flow Definition, or create a new
PG and upload the flow definition JSON, or save/import to/from a NiFi
Registry. If you use this format, it does in fact capture the
parameter contexts and their initial values, minus sensitive values,
and it will create the contexts on import to a new NiFi instance.

2) This has come up a few times... it was an intentional decision to
not allow a sub-PG to inherit the param context from a parent PG, as
it becomes complicated to understand what value is actually going to
be resolved. However, I do think we need a user-friendly way to allow
setting the context on all sub-PGs. So if you were to configure a
top-level process group and set the param context, you would have an
option to select that all sub-PGs are also set to this. It is unclear
if/when this would be implemented, as someone would have to take on
the work to implement it.

Thanks,

Bryan