Hi Greg,

I don't really know anything about OpenTelemetry, but from the
perspective of integrating something into the framework, some things
to consider...

Is there some way to piggy-back on provenance and use a ReportingTask
to process provenance events and report something to OpenTelemetry?

If something new does need to be added, it should probably be an
extension point where there is an interface in the framework-api and
different implementations can be plugged in.
Ideally the framework itself wouldn't have any knowledge of
OpenTelemetry specifically, it would only be reporting some
information, which could then be used in some way by the OpenTelemetry
implementation.

How does NiFi actually communicate with OpenTelemetry? Are you
expecting to send data to OpenTelemetry in this new method you are
suggesting?
That would likely have a significant impact on the performance of the flow.

Thanks,

Bryan