There needs to be an update to the contributing guide as to how to submit
PRs to 1.x or 2.x etc.

From: Joe Witt <joew...@apache.org> <joew...@apache.org>
Reply: dev@nifi.apache.org <dev@nifi.apache.org> <dev@nifi.apache.org>
Date: January 9, 2023 at 15:53:16
To: dev@nifi.apache.org <dev@nifi.apache.org> <dev@nifi.apache.org>
Subject:  [discuss] NiFi 1.20 and NiFi 2.0

Team,

As David mentioned in [1] following a successful NiFi 2.0 release goal
planning - we are now going to start moving the 'main' line to be the NiFi
2.0 line which will allow for the key work to take place. We will also
move niFi 1.x to its appropriate support line.

It is also the case that we have nearly 100 JIRAs on NiFi 1.20 and we have
work in there including security items so it is time to make a release.
The intent then is to initiate 1.20 and immediate after that change 'main'
to 2.0.

Going forward then all work on the 1.x line should be focused on
maintaining existing features, dependencies, and helping 1.x users migrate
to the 2.x line. Otherwise, new feature work will happen on 'main' as it
normally does and will come out in the NiFi 2.x release line.

Please flag key outstanding items as we narrow down the release candidate
for NiFi 1.20.

Thanks
Joe

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread/qo4vvdw46235y7vy2crcd6l4m11wl7jz