Mike,

Thanks for raising the question. Following Matt's comments, I recommend
minimizing use of Java 17 features to make it easier to backport changes
for now.

Incremental adjustments can be done when backporting, but it requires the
author and reviewer to pay careful attention since the GitHub automated
builds for the main branch run on Java 17.

As Matt recommended, the alternative is to provide separate pull requests
for the main and support branches.

We already have a few Java 11 and 17 references on the main branch for
things like List.of(), and most of these are easy to adjust when
backporting, but they do require careful attention.

Regards,
David Handermann