My two cents on whether this is a 2.x tied thing is that it doesn't seem
like we're talking about changing the user's experience in either case here
so it should not really be a 2.x blocker.  More than anything it sounds
like we should/need/want to do this to be on a more
maintainable/supportable implementation of the UI and there sounds like a
path to bring this in which should be a non issue for the user.  So if that
understanding is correct I'd say there is no need to correlate this with a
2.x release.    Definitely if we were talking about a different user
experience that would change my thoughts though.

Thanks