Team,

Apache NiFi 2.0.0-M1 introduced support for native Python Processors,
bringing new capabilities and some new questions. Part of that initial
release included the installation of Python pip for dynamic dependency
installation in the unofficial Docker images. Although this feature is
useful in some development scenarios, pip has several known
vulnerabilities, including CVE-2018-20225, related to the potential
for passing an option to reference additional repositories. Although
NiFi does not use this option, the presence of pip is a notable
security concern at the level of runtime package retrieval.

With that background, it seems that we should remove pip from the
unofficial Docker image builds. This would bring closer alignment with
the convenience binary downloads, which do not have Python support
enabled in the default configuration. Although this would require
users to build their own images to add pip, it follows the general
principle of providing secure defaults. There is a developer usability
tradeoff, but we have had similar considerations in the past, and have
leaned in the direction of security.

Regards,
David Handermann