Mark,

There are "extension points" in the UI for Advanced UIs and Content
Viewers. The capability is largely unchanged from the 1.x baseline in that
WARs are discovered at runtime and are associated with specific components
or content types. The UIs themselves do not need to be part of the
nifi-frontend module. This project just allows all UIs provided by Apache
NiFi itself to share a common set of dependencies, reuse components,
styles, etc. But any WAR that meets the criteria (the same criteria as the
1.x baseline) will be deployed and the extension UIs will be available in
the UI.

There are no further optimizations for the banner text. It is intended to
allow a text string to be configured. There is also no ability to provide a
custom logo.

The Content Viewer is designed to support viewing a single piece of
content. This is any piece of content in a Queue or referenced as
input/output of a Provenance Event. If in your scenario the text/metadata
and image were within the same piece of content it would be doable through
this extension point. If not, a new extension concept may be needed if the
scenario could be generalized and would be helpful in other cases. If not,
you could fork the codebase and implement purpose built UIs for your
specific use cases.

It's not clear based on your last paragraph how the UIs were previously
being modified with a custom build. If you mean that you were manually
modifying the UI components and rebuilding, that is still possible in 2.x
it's just the UIs were built differently.

Matt