I suppose the easiest way to explain differences is scope. I can most
easily talk about Apache NiFi scope, which is, as I would put it, a tool
and platform for getting data from here to there (our incubator proposal
explains scope well [1]), both at the edge (ingestion) and at the core
(transport). There are tools built in to track data and support more cases
at the edge by supplying one's own services and processors. It also has a
very operator-centric UI for building and maintaining flows.

The scope for Spark XD appears to be more of an application
orchestration/integration framework (analytic glue). From my perspective,
the UIs and programming interfaces are very programmer centric. It also has
some overlap with Apache Falcon [2].

There is overlap with Spark XD and NiFi. Both do ingest (into a myriad of
sinks). Both can do 'analysis', but I don't feel like the scope of NiFi is
to be a general purpose analysis platform.  But there certainly are lots of
interesting things you can do with data while it goes from here.

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/NiFiProposal
[2] http://falcon.apache.org/