Nutch is built with ANT+IVY. There is indeed a pom.xml used to  publish the
artefacts with Maven but it can't be used for building Nutch properly.
There is a Jira issue with a proposal to move to ANT+Maven but even this
does not mean you can build Nutch with Maven only.

--
Don't Grow Old, Grow Up... :-)