Hi,

One of the frequent issues on the mailing list / JIRA is that users can be
led to think that Nutch is built with Maven as they can see what looks like
a perfectly valid pom.xml at the root of the project. It becomes clearer
when reading the WIKI or FAQ that ANT should be used instead but it isn't
an unreasonnable assumption, is it?

As we know this pom.xml is generated automatically when we publish the
Maven artefacts with the deploy task i.e. it is never done by end users and
only when we release a new version. This pom.xml is generated from a
template file in the ivy dir and uses the ivy dependencies.

This pom.xml file cannot be used to build Nutch core nor the plugins but
was used by Eclipse users to easily import the project and get the
dependencies, which can be done very neatly with the 'ant eclipse' task or
by using the IvyDE plugin for Eclipse.  Moreover there is no guarantee that
it is in sync with the content of the Ivy deps.

I suggest that we remove the pom.xml file from the source (and the
releases) to get rid of this source of confusion. Apart from the solutions
I just mentioned to get the dependencies in Eclipse etc... there is always
the option of calling 'ant deploy' to generate a fresh new pom.xml if you
really need one.

Can we please have your views on this?

[+1] yes
[-1] no, here is why...
[0] don't mind

Thanks

Julien

--

Open Source Solutions for Text Engineering

http://digitalpebble.blogspot.com/
http://www.digitalpebble.com
http://twitter.com/digitalpebble