I think you have landed on the very motivation behind, and the very benefit
that pull requests offer over patches. The submitter(s) is/are the one(s)
who know how the pieces fit together. It is they that are responsible for
creating something that's mergeabel. A set or PRs with a "No conflicts"
status.

Just imagine the streams of patches that come in chunks as individual PR.
If after 1 PR comes in it causes a second PR of the groups to become
conflicted. The onus is on the submitter to rebase and resolve the issues.

On past projects that I have worked on the process was to carry patches and
apply them in the build. This gave me a sense of security in that I could
see all of the deltas from upstream in the patch set.  Then other members
of the team suggested that we carry these changes as commits on top of (re
based on) upstream.  This left me totally uncomfortable because it
completely changed the why I was working. But what I learned was the key
benefit of  this methodology is that: it is far better to find the
conflicts during a rebase in a git re base session then it is to try to
decipher failed patch applications in a build. After doing it with this re
based workflow I realized  the benefits. It was super uncomfortable at 1st
but now it's 2nd nature and much, much more efficient not to mention
foolproof.

This is essentially what happens when A PR Has conflicts and the submitter
is asked to resolve them. They re base on the current master and they are
very quickly able to ensure their changes are now proper in the new context.

David