<rant>Yet another example of git's horrendous user interface.
Bottom-up design at its worst.</rant>

This is really  problem that in endemic in open source software. Open source software is developed by people like us -- engineering nerds who only care about interesting implementations and are much less skilled in understanding or valuing the end-users point of view.  As a result, there is a lot of really, really cool open source software that is just difficult to use.

If we really wanted our open source software to compete with commercial software, we should focus a lot more attention in understanding what users want and do a better job of human factors engineering.

It is informative to look at the marketing materials and support tools offered by commercial vendors of RTOSs like VxWorks and Integrity.  We could learn a lot.