I agree, and all the more reason we should ensure that our project has
a controlled snapshot of this tool -- and to ensure the longevity of
that snapshot so that it will not be lost suddenly!

There is also a snapshot of genromfs in the tools repository. This is a snapshot of the tool from the time I wrote the ROMFS file system.  People have been using "willy-nilly" versions of genromfs, I believe.  However, so far that has not caused any problems.

There is other interesting stuff in the tools directory that people are not well aware of.  For example, nxfuse:

    A Linux FUSE implementation that enables native mounting of NuttX filesystems     in Linux.  Currently supports SmartFS and NXFFS (within the limitations of     the NXFFS architecture).  See the nxfuse/README.txt file for further information.