it seems because ARCHINCLUDES try to figure out the search path by
invoking shell script:

But wouldn't that affect all platforms proportionally?  Why would that cause such a huge increase on MSYS2.

I saw a 7 minute build time on Cygwin.  That is also very high, but not at all the kind of time increase that Johannes is seeing. I was building on Cygwin at about 3 minutes at some time in the past, so the build time has increases significantly for me too.

On Cygwin, I have always noticed that the build rate would slow down when it got the to the drivers/ directory.  It would slow by a factor of 2-3X.  This, we disccovered, as do to all of the include paths that had to be searched.  When you build the drivrs/, there can be many include paths that really slows down the build.

Could something like that be happening here too?

I have seen a slow-down in builds under Linux as well.  But since the Linux builds are already so fast it is less evident.  Before i was building at around 20-30 seconds per build; now it is are 45-60 seconds per build.

Has anyone else seen this?
I should clarify... that is using testbuild.sh so it includes make disclean and configure.sh times too.  The actual build time is somewhat less than that.