I still can't seem to get an invite from the Apache Github account, despite
having 2FA enabled on Github, and linking my Github user name through the
self-service portal. I have had this problem since we moved to Apache, but
I haven't needed access until now.

Who is the right person to ask with help getting the Github invite? Is this
a us...@infra.apache.org type of request?

I don't know who can help.  I had problems the first time I tried and found, for me, the secret was that I has to log off from github then log back in after I did the configuration.  I don't think you can configure the 2-factor login while you are logged in.