On the other hand, the MAC address is a hard-wired address, accessed in a
hardware specific way. In my opinion the application shouldn't mess with it
and it is best to be set once during the hardware initialization.
The code follows the same model and uses the same IOCTL commands as does Linux and BSD.
I think a PR to bring out the MAC address setup function as was done for
arch/arm/src/samv7/sam_emac.c would be acceptable too. The MAC address
should be retained indefinitely after it is set once.
I think that this is needed. I am willing to work on this.

This logic that sets and remembers the MAC does not depend on hardware.  It simply modifies the common device structure.  You should be able to copy past from arch/arm/src/samv7/sam_emac.c with only a few changes.