> DTS mean huge changes and maybe even ditching Kconfig

DTS does not replace Kconfig. Kconfig enables OS options and support
for features. DTS describes presence of resources and how they are
mapped to on-board/on-chip resources (CS line to GPIO is one such example).
Moreover, Kconfig does not (easily/nicely) allow for multiple instances of a
same driver.

DTS support does not have to mean a big change, if we follow the approach
I suggested in that issue, which is what Zephyr follows. But again, I think this
is not actually necessary right now to improve what has been discussed.

Moving to a standardized device driver interface based on
initialize/deinitialize/etc.
callbacks and adding ability to interact with GPIOs using the abstract interface
I mentioned already would be a good step.

Best,
Matias