> Also I woud advise against this common dir in boards, since it prevents
users from creating custom boards from built-in ones.

We can still create a custom board from an in-tree board that has the
common dir. We just have to either include the common dir or remove it
and adapt the makefiles as we did here.
I have something similar to this:
tree -L 2 boards/

|── board1
│   ├── configs
│   └── src
|── board2
│   ├── configs
│   └── src
└── stm32
    ├── common
    ├── drivers
    └── stm32-board1
    └── stm32-board2

I think the common dir just added an extra step (although, it's not too obvious)

> I've just tested the external board build following these simple steps.

These steps will work because STM32L4 family doesn't have a common
directory.  This is the "old" method that Sebastien was referring to.

In any case, I think we can write a script that can create a custom
board based on an in-tree board, regardless of the presence or not of
the common directory.