On Thu, Oct 7, 2021 at 11:51 PM Tomasz CEDRO <to...@cedro.info> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 8, 2021 at 5:15 AM Tomasz CEDRO wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 8, 2021 at 4:47 AM Nathan Hartman  wrote:
> > > There is a NuttX Tools repo at
> > > https://bitbucket.org/nuttx/tools/downloads/
> > >
> > > I think I built the kconfig-frontends from there a long time ago.
> >
> > Thank you for this hint I will try to build that on my FreeBSD. I
> > could not find kconfig sources :-)
>
> `kconfig-frontends-4.11.0.1` does not build on FreeBSD:
>
>   CC       libs/parser/libs_parser_libkconfig_parser_la-yconf.lo
> In file included from libs/parser/yconf.c:252:
> libs/parser/hconf.gperf:153:1: error: conflicting types for
> 'kconf_id_lookup'
> kconf_id_lookup (register const char *str, register unsigned int len)
> ^
> libs/parser/hconf.gperf:12:31: note: previous declaration is here
> static const struct kconf_id *kconf_id_lookup(register const char
> *str, register GPERF_LEN_TYPE len);
>                               ^
> libs/parser/hconf.gperf:40:44: warning: static variable
> 'kconf_id_strings_contents' is used in an inline function with
> external linkage [-Wstatic-in-inline]
>               register const char *s = o + kconf_id_strings;
>                                            ^
> libs/parser/hconf.gperf:145:43: note: expanded from macro
> 'kconf_id_strings'
> #define kconf_id_strings ((const char *) &kconf_id_strings_contents)
>                                           ^
> libs/parser/hconf.gperf:147:1: note: use 'static' to give inline
> function 'kconf_id_lookup' internal linkage
>
> There is `gperf-3.1` package installed.
>

> Can anyone point me to the official `kconfig-frontends` website and
> source code repository?
>
> I can find 28 repositories on GitHub all seems to be outdated forks:
> https://github.com/search?q=kconfig-frontends
>

> One of them is
> https://github.com/NuttX/tools/tree/master/kconfig-frontends,
> where I find:
>
> This is a snapshot of the kconfig-frontends version 4.11.0.1 tarball taken
> from http://ymorin.is-a-geek.org/projects/kconfig-frontends.
>
> But that server does not respond.
>

> Another finding is https://github.com/espressif/kconfig-frontends but
> that is explicitly a modified version so its a different tool with the
> same name.
>

> I hope NuttX does not have a critical dependency on abandoned
> unmaintained tool ?

Kconfig-frontends is indeed a critical dependency. If you search the
mailing list archives you'll see that I've talked about this before:

In the past, before we joined the Apache Incubator, all the NuttX repos
were together in one place and the Tools repo had Kconfig-frontends and
other tools (including customized cross compilers etc).

When we moved to the Incubator (which is the entry point toward becoming an
Apache project), we were told that it's against policy to do a hostile fork
of other projects; the Tools repo contains what are essentially forks of
other projects, so it stayed at BitBucket while NuttX moved over to ASF.

Now I contend that bringing in the Tools repo is not making a "hostile"
fork, it's ensuring that tools critical to this project remain available,
like Kconfig-frontends, which doesn't have to be "unmaintained" -- we can
maintain it.

Or if someone can propose a better tool.