On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 12:49 PM Gregory Nutt <spudan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Matias N. made some progress before;
> > Unified device interface, callback based initialization and devicetree
> > (DTS) · Issue #3031 · apache/incubator-nuttx (github.com)
> > <https://github.com/apache/incubator-nuttx/issues/3031>
> > [RFC] Using devicetree (DTS) to improve board support · Issue #1020 ·
> > apache/incubator-nuttx (github.com)
> > <https://github.com/apache/incubator-nuttx/issues/1020>
>
> The conversation that I was trying to initiate here is NOT whether these
> features are good or bad, but to propose a way to create a feature road
> map for the OS.  Through the established voting process we can determine
> in advance whether features are needed by the community or not.

I think we need 2 CWIKI pages: Wish List and Road Map.

In Wish List, everyone can go and propose whatever features they'd
like to see someday. There's no guarantee any of them will be
implemented, but could serve to get the ideas flowing.

Wish List ideas that gain traction become a [DISCUSS] thread where
details are hashed out and arguments made, leading to a [VOTE].

Items voted Yes move from Wish List to Road Map.

Items voted No go to /dev/null.

Rinse and repeat :-)

(snip)

> This prevents misconceptions that arise because a few people are very
> impassioned and vocal but do not reflect the majority.  This may happen
> if  the majority are less vocal.  The vocal minority can lead in a path
> that may not be preferable to the silent majority.  Voting gives a voice
> to everyone.
>
> Similarly we can identify features in advance that ARE needed by the
> community and make that need visible to potential implementers.
>
> If we had such a feature roadmap, we could more easily coordinate the
> evolution of the OS in an orderly fashion.

Agreed. Furthermore once there's a roadmap that looks reasonable, I'd
propose to put it on the NuttX website.

Cheers,
Nathan