Hi Xiang, Hi Matthew,

Thanks for your responses.

Matthew wrote:
> Creating a kernel thread in an ioctl "lower-half" would probably cause
the file descriptors from the calling task to get copied.

Yes, that is exactly what is happening.  The started kernel thread actively
polls for an event to happen and terminates afterwards, calling close on
all the copied file descriptors (which includes the one the ioctl was
called on). Currently I made my device driver more robust via reference
counting, but I tend to agree with the referenced issues that kernel
threads should not maintain file descriptors.

Thanks!
Michael