68k cross-development on FreeBSD (or any other unixlike platform) is pretty
straightforward. Crosstool-NG trivialises generating the toolchain, and the
current state of 68k support in the FSF tools is quite good. LLVM is getting
there, but I feel like the backend needs more work.

Unless the NuttX cross-compilation tooling has changed drastically, I wouldn't
expect you'll need to do anything substantially different from any other
GCC-based target.

Thinking a bit more about the issue I got stuck on, I suspect it may have been
related to not having a standardised way to generate a deferred interrupt akin
to PendSV. I was doing a lot of ARMv7M work at the time, and I was probably
trying to exploit the otherwise fairly similar nature of the two architectures.

Good luck!

 = Mike