On Fri, Jun 9, 2023 at 3:24 AM Nathan Hartman wrote:
> I know it is sometimes unpopular to suggest adding more Kconfigs but maybe
> this is something that should be configurable, allowing developers to
> choose if they need a 64-bit count for range or a 32- (or even 16-) bit
> count for efficiency. The needed speed and counter size really depends on
> how the application is going to use the qencoder.

Allright, mystery solved, the value returned is just a ESP32 specific
register value (16-bit), according to the documentation this is mostly
used for direction and speed decoding.. I will have to adapt it to a
position value stored on a 32-bit or even 64-bit variable.. using
floating numbers seems overkill.. thank you everyone for the hints!
:-)