Personally I think debug symbols should be off by default.  The default
position for any OS should always be small, fast and most importantly, secure.

Different modes are a great way of solving this.  Visual Studio has had this
for as long as I have been using it.

Regards,
Mark
Blog: blog.thepcsite.co.uk