Having got u-boot to work and, now, also got lvgldemo to run
automatically at startup, I have taken some rough timings of the boot
time on my sama5d27 board and thought others might be interested.

power->at91bootstrap->uboot (autoboot with 0s timeout)->nuttx->graphics
on the screen: 6 seconds

If I use the bootstrap program to boot NuttX directly however:

power->at91bootstrap->nuttx->graphics on the screen: 2 seconds

It seems uboot is not really a very good choice as a bootloader for an
embedded system, where boot time is important (I was looking for <3s).

 From this discussion (thank you everyone) I believe I will be OK using
USB/dfu/RNDIS tools/utilities directly from NuttX in my main app, to
load and check new binaries to a secondary flash area without needing
u-boot or MCUboot. I will try mcuboot if it does prove necessary to have
an intermediate bootloader, or use a simple designed-for-purpose program.