On 1/3/2024 5:12 AM, Fotis Panagiotopoulos wrote:
Hello everyone,

I am glad that we all agree on this matter.

We can handle this in the following steps:

1. Ensure that any new PRs and apps follow this convention.
This is up to the reviewers, to enforce.

2. Get rid of all DEBUGASSERTs in apps.
Unfortunately, a quick grep yielded 3410 results...

How can this be managed?
   A: Find-and-replace DEBUGASSERT with assert. Is this safe to do so?
       Can I assume that assert is 100% safe to use where now DEBUGASSERT is
used?
That would seem a little odd since there was a PR a few years ago to change all instances of assert/ASSERT to DEBUGASSERT to save code size.
   B: Modify checkpatch.sh to catch this on modified files?
       Just like we gradually fixed licenses, coding style etc?
Any other ideas?

3. When the above are ready, move these definitions in nuttx/assert.h

An alternative:

3. Move definitions to nuttx/assert.h

4. create an apps/include/assert.h that also defines DEBUGASSERT.  When the above are ready, just remove apps/include/assert.

In fact just keeping DEBUGASSERT defined in an apps-specific apps/include/assert.h is fine with me.  The problem now is that DEBUGASSERT is treated as if it were a standard OS interface.  But nothing in apps/include/ is standard and a DEBUGASSERT definition there is completely healthy.