Hi Tim,

AFAIK NuttX doesn't have a standard way to do it.
It is normally done at board level (do a "git grep backlight" inside
boards/ to see some examples).

A proper way to do that should be implementing a backlight subsystem, like
a subset of Linux backlight subsystem:
https://docs.kernel.org/gpu/backlight.html

I think you could create a simple char device driver (at
drivers/lcd/backlight.c) that will receive IOCTLs to set the backlight
dimming.

Best Regards,

Alan