I was sort of surprised that I still had committer status and it is taking
me a little time to get back in the groove, but I will try to take a look at
more (actually, some) submissions. That is after I reread (actually, read)
the documents listed above.

-Al

On 1/20/07, David E. Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Jan 20, 2007, at 8:38 AM, Jonathon -- Improov wrote:

> Jacques,
>
> Are you the only one reviewing the submissions? Any way the rest of
> us can help? I see the long "customer service-like" thread at
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-552 . Or perhaps if
> you're a committer, you should be relieved of many other duties?

This is always a fun topic... and has been discussed in a few recent
threads on the mailing lists.

First off I agree that Jacques has been helping a lot and in spite of
some mis-steps (more about that later), Jacques has been helping a
lot, and it's really great, and people submitting patches that he
gets through should thank him.

So why are things this way? Why are there so many open issues? Why
can't committers keep up? Why don't we just add more committers? Why
don't you just make ME a committer so I can get my stuff in?

The answers, my friend, are in... the following documents:

Contributors Best Practices: http://docs.ofbiz.org/x/r
Committers Roles and Responsibilities: http://docs.ofbiz.org/x/mQ

I just revised and updated these documents as a few things in them
weren't quite correct (like the process for adding a committer), and
there were a few questions, including parts of this one, that I think
weren't adequately addressed.

After reading through those documents you should have a better
understanding of how things work, or don't work. By definition if
there is a back log of issues, there is a shortage of volunteer-time.
It's that simple. Hopefully this is mostly caused by people not
knowing where or how they can help, and now hopefully those documents
address that much better.