If (but not guaranteed) I will start writing down something concrete, should I wrap it in a new specialpurpose component and commit (or put in Jira) it asap to get early feedback from the community? If so, which name?

Jacopo

David E. Jones wrote:

Jacopo,

I like the idea of this approach, and it's something I've been thinking about for a while.

A good next step might be to do a PoC implementation with maybe just one star schema using a simple-method to do the ETL, and a form widget to report on the data. In that process we'll probably find some things that are ugly and could use some tool extensions.

BTW, there are some interesting generic star schemas in the Data Model Resource Book. There is a sales one with some requirements in the form of questions on page 370 of volume 1, and a model diagram on page 371.

The data warehouse entities should go into their own entity group, a new group, with it's own datasource in the OOTB entityengine.xml file. A good group name might be something like org.ofbiz.olap (as opposed to oltp which characterizes most of the current entities.

Anyway, yeah this would be cool, and we already have a lot of tools that would work really well here.

-David