Karl,

I believe the community is branching a release this Friday (now?).

After forking a release branch, the trunk can and SHOULD be free to blaze ahead rapidly, even with loads of new enhancements from yourself.

The idea of separate branches is simply to have multiple prongs of activity for various intentions, each prong insulated from the others. The release branch will be "slow-moving waters", gradually and surely stabilizing into a solid-in-stone release. The trunk is NOT meant for stabilizing, but for ongoing progress.

In the worst case, the community should consider forking an "exploratory" branch to test out your contributions, and then merge those contributions into trunk after ironing out any incompatibilities between OFBiz codes and your codes.

I believe you are already maintaining your own SVN for your own modified OFBiz, and you should be pulling in updates regularly from OFBiz trunk. I am doing just that.

If this is your objective:

To get the latest and greatest of OFBiz merged with your proven (2 years)
enhancements,

let me know. I'll take in your enhancements and merge them in with OFBiz trunk right now, and then hand the whole "greater than sum of parts" assembly back to you. We'll iron out incompatibilities rapidly in another "slow-moving waters" branch called "Karl's Exploratory Branch".

Only condition, of course, is that you expressly indicate that your enhancements are to be put under ASL, or any other license completely compatible with the one OFBiz is currently using.

We shouldn't turn away complex contributions anymore. I myself have loads of enhancements (mostly to widget module) that I feel uneasy about releasing to the community, simply because of this odd use of trunk: it's used like a slow-moving release branch that is unable to handle introductions of radical enhancements.

Yet, this somewhat slow-moving trunk isn't still enough and focused enough on achieving release-quality stability. It's the worst of both worlds: it's not rapid enough to allow for radical progress, and not calm and focused-on-cleaning-up enough to produce a stable release for non-OFBiz developers.

Jonathon

Anil Patel wrote:
Thanks for your. Contribution, they are always welcome. Contributions
of this size may take long to before they get into trunk, in this case
timing if also a factor. Community is planning a release after long
time so they will try to avoid major changes to framework component.

Please be patient I am sure some body will look at it.

In order to make it easy to review ca it be broken into smaller patches.

Regards