Is that field really needed? I recommend stepping back and looking at the
process you're trying to do, in real terms of user interaction. From the stuff
here I don't see what that is.

If it's a hypothetical "how would I..." then I recommend making it more
concrete or the problem will be difficult to solve.

-David

Adrian Crum wrote:
Al,

Thank you for the reply!

I'm hesitant to add another field that is specific to forums. As David has pointed out, ownerContentId is intended to be used for security purposes and right now it contains the forum ID - I don't want to change that.

How about a field named contentGroupId? Then other parts of the content manager can use it for grouping content records.

I'll think about it more over the weekend.

-Adrian

Al Byers wrote:
Adrian,

There are so many things about this that I cannot think of and, hopefully,
David will be able to comment. The InstanceOfContentId field is used in a
mode where content is derived from a template. I don't think that there
would be any conflicts in its use, but I am guessing the right philosophy is
that if it is needed, you should add another field to the entity.

The ownerContentId is another field that could be used. I have used it for that purpose before. It is suppose to be used to identify the content record
from which security permissions should be determined and, generally, that
would be the content that starts a thread. The only place that that would
not work is if in the middle of a thread, two or more parties wanted to send private messages to each other. But if that were the case, it would probably
constitute a new thread.

I think I would lean towards adding a new field, then it would be the use of
ownerContentId and then instanceOfContentId. But, like I said, I am not
certain enough about any of those options to be definitive.

-Al