Please ignore ma previous message in this thread (for now)... it's not as urgent as I thought because I've already found a good solution for the GL posting routine.
We will discuss the best way to go at later point.

Jacopo

Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
I would like to definitely fix this before we implement the GL posting service for inventory variances.

Here is my attempt (draft) to implement David's notes on this:

1) deprecate InventoryItemVariance and replace it with a new entity:
InventoryVariance with the following fields:
inventoryVarianceId (pk)
varianceReasonId
physicalInventoryId
comments

2) add the field inventoryVarianceId to the InventoryItemDetail entity

3) implement a new service createInventoryVariance that thakes as input the following fields:
productId (mandatory)
availableToPromiseDiff (optional)
quantityOnHandVar (optional)
facilityId (mandatory)
locationSeqId (optional)
inventoryItemId (optional)

where facilityId, locationSeqId and inventoryItemId are used to select the InventoryItems that will be considered for the variance; if we specify the inventoryItemId then the service will work in the same way the createPhysicalInventoryAndVariance is working now

What do you think?

Jacopo

David E Jones wrote:

I think this change is fine. It would throw a little kink in the special handling of the financial impact for this sort of thing. However we do this we just need to make sure it's very clear that the change is due to inventory lost/found/damaged/etc. That would be in the reasonEnumId.

My thoughts on the inventory variance going back a ways is that it's really weird to have the variance associated with a single inventory item. It seems like something related to Product, Facility and perhaps FacilityLocation would make more sense. Based on the record for that an InventoryItem would generally be created.

In other words I'm saying that instead of having a variance entity that points to the InventoryItem entity, the pointing would go in the other direction (probably to the InventoryItemDetail entity rather than InventoryItem).

I thought I should bring this up before we make any decisions about the direction to go, or any changes to make, with InventoryItemVariance.

-David