First of all, I think it's always a bad idea to "comment out" any
code, and the general rule of thumb is to prefer deleting.

Second, the framework and plugins are two separate projects. You
cannot crash the standalone framework so that the plugins can work,
because you're making the framework depend on plugins.

On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 11:45 AM, Jacques Le Roux
<jacques.le.r...@les7arts.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> - then you talk about discussing things with apache legal
>> - then you ask people for their opinion
>> - then you go back to BIRT
>>
>> So to answer your question, YES, it's very hard to read you :) Many of
>> your emails are long with lots of URLs and jump around multiple
>> topics. I personally cannot keep up, and that's why when you present a
>> question to the community, I have to ask you to pin down exactly what
>> you want.
>
> Yes legal question matters and are often a delicate matter to handle. So I
> ferreted around for clues and reported what I found while doing it.
> I agree it's maybe not the best way to interact with the ML. I was unsure of
> the facts, so shared to hopefully get some help from the ML.
> I'll now try to summarize in this message
>

>> Now back to this thread: I'm always in favor of completely removing
>> libraries where possible. This means refactoring CompDocServices.java
>> and PdfSurveyServices.java. I'm not sure how much work would that be,
>> but if it is a lot of work, then the work that I proposed might be a
>> quick fix for now (exclusion in gradle).
>
> At 1st glance your idea seems the best quick solution. But if you read my
> messages you will see that even using itext 4.2.0 is legally not a good
> idea.
> So while ferreting around I found that I was able to comment it out also in
> Gradle build: "//compile 'com.lowagie:itext:4.2.0'"
> I mean doing so does not prevent Birt to render PDF files. So I wondered why
> and finally found that the version com.lowagie.text 2.1.7, *which has no
> legal issues*, is embedded in org.eclipse.birt.runtime.3_7_1
> You may find it in your cache, for me it's in
> Z:\Gradle\caches\modules-2\metadata-2.16\descriptors\org.eclipse.birt.runtime.3_7_1\com.lowagie.text
>
> So if you remove all itext related files in your Gradle cache you will still
> have lowagie files, for me it's at
> Z:\Gradle\caches\modules-2\files-2.1\org.eclipse.birt.runtime.3_7_1\com.lowagie.text\2.1.7\18d4c7c2014447eacfd00c65c717b3cfc422407b\com.lowagie.text-2.1.7.jar
> When I look for source this is also what Eclipse reports.
>
> So I believe we can get rid of "compile 'com.lowagie:itext:4.2.0'" and Birt
> continues to work and render PDFs. For advanced features, users need to buy
> a commercial version of itext.
>
> For me that seems the best OOTB solution. I hope this is clear enough, else
> please ask :)
>
> Jacques
>

>> On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 8:25 PM, Jacques Le Roux
>> <jacques.le.r...@les7arts.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> No, I'm suggesting to drop itext as a whole, not only itextpdf.
>>>
>>> Is it so difficult to read me :-o ?
>>>
>>> I 1st spoke about "itext/4.2.0" (not itextpdf at all). Then I suggested
>>> remove "it".
>>>
>>> <<Also from few tests I did, it seems we don't need it to render PDF with
>>> Birt. Please confirm...>>
>>>
>>> I believe (it's no clear from Birt side) itext is something we drag from
>>> 1st contribution of Birt in OFBiz. And Birt is now able to render PDF w/o