Hello Michael,

Michael Brohl <michael.br...@ecomify.de> writes:

> Yes, right, but it's certainly less costly than the direct execution
> of Debug.logXxxx... And that's the point. You don't want to run these
> statments thousands of times within a minute (in production systems),
> which is the case in central functionality like the controller.

According to Rémi Forax's numbers this assumption is *not* verified! [1]

He gets exactly the same performance results (1.08× ns/op) with either
of the following options:

   1) Debug.log("...")
   2) if (Debug.isEnabled()) { Debug.log("...") }
   3) Debug.log(() -> "...")

> Who cares? Each improvement is a gain and if we only introduce these
> conditions in the hotspot functionality, it's an improvement.
>
> It's not only black and white...

I think that any claim of performance gain/loss must be backed by an
actual measurement, and this has not been the case in this discussion.

Personnally I care about the readability of the code and choosing the
option 2 is not helping in that regard.

[1] https://youtu.be/z5UkoLaW6ME?t=213

--
Mathieu Lirzin
GPG: F2A3 8D7E EB2B 6640 5761  070D 0ADE E100 9460 4D37