Current methodology of having the externalId field in the various tables is
limiting the capabilities of OFBiz. With this an object can have only 1
externalId value. However, it is quite feasible that an object can be
associated with various external systems with each having a different
externalId value. This is particularly true for the party entity.

I wonder whether this is necessary for a facility. If a supplier has an Id
value for one of the internally used facilities, why would the adopter
care? Similar thoughts are on contact mech and shipment. But a good example
and explanation for each may help.

The external Id of a product is (as far as it is related to a product
supplied by a 3rd party) captured in SupplierProduct entity. If the intent
is to capture the product Id as it is used by a customer and other parties,
then the same reasoning as used for parties (see above) applies. Why would
an OFBiz adopter care what the external Ids of downstream parties are?

The identification type SKU can't be used for this purpose, as it is
intended to have a value based on internally used variation/feature
combinations. I suggest reading up on [1]. The definitions used by either
supplier, customer, etc. may lead to conflicts.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stock_keeping_unit

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

*Apache OFBiz <https://ofbiz.apache.org>, contributor (without privileges)