Hi Michael,

I'm broadly in favour of your proposal, but perhaps with a slightly
different 'shape' to the approach.

I too was hoping that we could freeze trunk before creating a 24.x release
branch as I was concerned about the about of duplicate work (backporting)
that might need to be done if we took a 24.x release branch earlier in the
year, but alas trunk marches on and I think it will be difficult to
mandate a period of release-related-only changes in trunk.

Instead I think, as Deepak mentioned, we should take a new 24.x branch to
use for stabilisation - with tags denoting the actual releases along that
branch. It feels that the large projects - such as groovy-scripts migration
- have completed which should reduce the amount of rework that would have
to take place simultaneously on trunk and the 24.x release branch.

>From your comments I infer that you may be suggesting yearly releases. I
think this is a good idea as it will allow the introduction of major new
functionalities in trunk without needing to wait years for them to become
generally accessible. Without more frequent releases we will have the
temptation to port major functionality into already existing release
branches which might take a large amount of effort and could introduce
instability between minor releases. I hope my inference reflects your
intended proposal! :)

Yes to a roadmap.

Thanks,

Dan.