Hello,

Why don't create the release branch now ?

Nicolas

Le 21/04/2024 à 15:49, Michael Brohl a écrit :
Hi everyone,

we agreed to work towards a stabilizing trunk to be able to create a 24.x release branch, which means we have to thoroughly decide which changes should go into trunk. There are currently lots of changes going into trunk with PR's created and rapidly be merged into the codebase. This causes potential for errors being introduced in trunk, potentially leading to delay the creation of the next release branch even more.

In my opinion, this is contraproductive to the goal of creating a stable release branch 24.x in due time.

I propose to make a decision to have a code freeze for new features and improvements and focus on bug fixes until we have created a 24.x branch.

I also propose that we start organizing a roadmap to give the community some guidelines where to focus and which main features can be expected in the next release branches. It might also give developers some goals to provide the features according to planned releases and maybe work together to reach those project goals.

For example, there are some initiatives for Tomcat migration, introducing REST functionality in the framework and others which we can assign to future release branches. Maybe we can have a plan for a 25.x release branch which introduces those features.

I do not intend to make this an unflexible roadmap, means there can always be more planned/unplanned features be added to the roadmap and be discussed. We should have some deadlines for new features though, just to be able to create the next feature branch in the planned time periods.

What do you think?

Best regards,

Michael Brohl

ecomify GmbH - www.ecomify.de